[CODE] Ascii Worldmap?

From: Richard P. Bandura (alpha4@capital.net)
Date: 04/10/99

I think it's rather unrealistic to leave the gate of a city and walk
perhaps 10 or 15 rooms through "wilderness" that's nothing more than a path
of strung-together rooms. For that reason, I've decided to try to make an
ascii worldmap, which would show all rooms except for those in zones.
Several of my gods have jumped right onto this project, and one has
actually created a worldmap consisting of a whopping FOUR MILLION ascii
chars. Yes, that's right, 4 million. Theoretically, this should allow for 4
million rooms, plus the rooms in zones. I'd like to have it so the rooms
don't "exist" unless there's someone IN them, so it's beyond vnums. I'd use
the basic sectortypes to set movement usages, etc.
        I've seen this system implemented on several muds, however the imps are
either not willing to discuss even the most basic concept of how they did
it, or they're just rude to me in general (the "hahaha our code is so
great, you'll never figure it out" routine). I like to think I'm not a BAD
coder...I just have no idea where to start with this. :P