{CIRCLE][ASCII] same 8 character problems with a twist

From: John Hines (jahweb@grnco.net)
Date: 06/17/99

hello all,

I have been digging holes in my head over my crash bug that has
to do with the length of a characters name. durring the running of
the mud i get the following 2 errors:
Jun 16 22:38:00 :: System Error: one_argument received a NULL pointer!
Jun 16 22:38:00 :: System Error: init_char: Character '(null)' not found in player table.
all seems fine but the errors keep comming up.
when a new character logs on with less than a 8 character name (3
chars is fine) the mud continues to pump away. when a char with
8+ logs on all is fine untill the 8+ char wants to reconnect. (so i am
assuming is a problem reading pfile) on reconnect the following
occurs:

8 character name:::

0x806ca7b in game_loop (mother_desc=0) at comm.c:859
859             GET_WAIT_STATE(d->character) -= (GET_WAIT_STATE(d->character) >
0);
(gdb) bt
#0  0x806ca7b in game_loop (mother_desc=0) at comm.c:859
(gdb) lis
854            * If no wait state, no subtraction.  If there is a wait
855            * state then 1 is subtracted. Therefore we don't go less
856            * than 0 ever and don't require an 'if' bracket. -gg 2/27/99
857            */
858           if (d->character) {
859             GET_WAIT_STATE(d->character) -= (GET_WAIT_STATE(d->character) >
0);
860
861             if (GET_WAIT_STATE(d->character))
862               continue;
863           }
(gdb)

Strange enough but this is what has been happening. i included the
player file of a test char which seems to be writing correctly:
Name: Zippoder
Pass: ZiOKJipeXt
Titl:
Sex : 1
Clas: 1
Levl: 51
Home: 1
Brth: 929588160
Plyd: 0
Last: 929588165
Hite: 170
Wate: 169
Load: -1
Id  : 12
Act : 128
Cmd :
Pref: m
Lern: 102
Str : 12/0
Int : 12
Wis : 12
Dex : 12
Con : 12
Cha : 12
Hit : 17/394
Mana: 100/574
Move: 83/156
Ac  : 100
Exp : 100000000
Affs:
0 0 0 0 0

if anyone is haveing or had similar problems please let me know. i
have researched the archives and added all the ascii fixes including
the fix to diskio.c
any help or larger clue than i have would be great
thanks

John Hines                    |   Weefcraft Custom Tiedyed Apparel
Founder/Coder                 |   Tiedye the way you want it!
TorbinMUD                     |     http://www.tiedye.org
torbinmud.rnrws.com 9191      |        weef@tiedye.org