Re: Running MUD in Windows

From: Andrew Ritchie (object@alphalink.com.au)
Date: 06/22/99

>    I have been running circle mud on a linux system for about 1 year now,
the mud has been only available through a dial in server in Melbourne
Australia. But with me obtaining a new job position we will be able to put
it online on our Windows system, Networked internally, and a small conection
to the net.
>    I was just wondering if any one has any problems running the mud
through windows, also if there are any advantages, or disadvantages. I will
be compling the system using MVC++ version 5.

>Thanks in advance,
>    Talon...

My opinion regarding any sort of Windows programming is this...

Microsoft Visual C++ is an extremely useful and helpful program, very
unusual coming from Microsoft. It's debugging feature and well thought out
GUI makes it possibly one of the best Windows programming tools.

Windows 95/98 (Even NT sometimes) are too, shall we say unreliable, to
actually run a MUD on. I far prefer running my game on Linux, where it is
easy to manage and does not system crash every 4 minutes. I personally have
given up the MSVC++ for Linux, as I think a solid system wins over a nice
compiler.

But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew.