Re: Circle History Lesson

From: Vaughan Williams (nsis@flatrate.net.au)
Date: 06/23/99

Why not tell a story.

The first time I ever played a MUD was, yes you got it CircleMUD ( 2.0 )
only back in 96
when I was studying technology at college here in Australia. We had no
Internet access for
students at college and I had not even been on the Internet at the time..
Then one day a friend
of a friend gave me a phone number for his shell account at his UNI. Well I
had just bought my
first Modem a 28.8k (super fast modem:) and dialed the number unsing an old
win3.1 terminal dialin prog.
 Wham up pops a termial windows with a few comments for students to move
around the server
(no PPP and only restricted SLIP access). I remember doing a list of the
avalible server at the UNI,
(man I had no idea what I was doing at the time) when i saw a name that for
some reason interested me
from a Forgotten Realms book I had read about a dark elf named Drizzt ( I
used to love AD&D and the
lord of the rings stuff ) "artemis.earth.monash.edu.au 4000". I worked out
how to use telnet and telneted to
that address (man I did not even know that 4000 was a port number:)) and
BOOOOOOMB there it was the
login screen for ArtemisMUD. I Logged on as Warder cos I could not think of
a good name and from that day on
I played that mud until  4am and 6am almost every day until i reached
immortal level (31)..
Because of that MUD I become interested in the Internet and even before I
left college I had gotten a job as
a Assisstant Systems Admin for a new ISP just starting of.
Within two weeks I had my own CircleMUD 3.0 ( bpl8 I think) stock standard
up and running. within two months
we had one of the best MUD's in Australia at the time with over 100 levels,
8 races, 8 classes etc etc etc etc..

So I really like CircleMUD and have not really played any others (much:)).

The old ArtemisMUD is not there anymore.. Pitty:(.

Well thats my story..