Re: Level restrictions

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 07/20/99

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>In combat, your weapon isn't the whole equation.  It's your skill with
>whatever you're wielding that matters the most.  The guy with the best
>sword in the game might have been good enough to get it, but who says that
>he'll remain the best player in the game?  Or that he won't make a stupid
>mistake and get a quivver of arrows planted in his back?  Or have it
>stolen from him while he sleeps?

I must say that the most fun thing I ever added to my MUD was ranged
weapons with quivers.  The original ranged weapon snippet on the FTP site
made you hold it so I wrote up automatic reloading with whatever custom
description you wanted, acting like normal containers.  One enterprising
builder made up a bazooka, rockets, and ammo box. Anyway, you just make a
bow, quiver, and exploding arrows and wander around the MUD.  It was a
blast (literally) to zing an arrow 5 rooms away and watch the resulting
hit.  Of course, then that prompted mobs that hunted you down for shooting
them.  Then had to have sentinel mobs avoid the arrows or shoot back
because otherwise they couldn't move.  It was absolutely unbalanced but
very cool anyway.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org