Re: [CODE][NEWBIE]: errors

From: Peter Ajamian (pajamian@access1.net)
Date: 08/11/99

Krylon wrote:

> I'm not really sure when my coding went bad, but I've been getting a
> bunch of syserrors. I'm running bpl15.
>
> The errors are:
>
> WARNING: EOF on socket read (connection broken by peer)
> and
> Losing descriptor without char.
>
> I'm baffled by this one..  Any help would be much appreciated. They used
> to come in pairs, now it seems
> that I'm only getting the Losing descriptor without char error.. the
> errors are frequent, but random. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Heh, well, as soon as I finish posting my reply I went and checked my own
syslog and what do you think I found?...

Aug 11 22:59:54 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:00:24 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:00:54 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:01:24 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:01:54 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:02:24 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:02:54 :: nusage: 5   sockets connected, 3   sockets playing
Aug 11 23:02:54 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:03:24 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:03:54 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:04:24 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:04:54 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:05:17 :: EOF on socket read (connection broken by peer)
Aug 11 23:05:17 :: Losing descriptor without char.
Aug 11 23:05:39 :: Losing descriptor without char.

Well, I found out what was causing it in my case, and I'll attempt to
explain it as best as I can...

If a player connects to the port then just sits at the login prompt they
time out and get disconnected, then the syslog records a message of Losing
descriptor without char.

What causes this to happen repeatedly is if that player uses a client such
as zMUD which automatically reconnects the player if they get disconnected,
this would especially be true if you just recently changed the login prompt
(players who have zMUD configured for the old prompt would not get auto
logged but would just sit at the prompt until they were disconnected...)

1.  Here's what is probably happening, one of your players has zMUD
incorectly configured so it does not recognize the prompt, that player walks
away when playing and goes to do something else for a period of time, the
player then times out in the game and gets disconnected...

2.  zMUD reconnects the player, but since the login is not correctly
configured, it just sits at the prompt until it times out and disconnects,
this generates the "Losing descriptor without char." entry.

3. zMUD reconnects the player, but since.... you get the idea.

Regards,

Peter