Re: Which is the best way...

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@pacific101.com)
Date: 08/16/99

----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck Carson <ccarson@phi.org>
To: <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 2:52 PM
Subject:  Which is the best way...

> When you are adding to a buffer before sending it to the
> character, which is the more suitable method?
>
> 1)
>
> sprintf (buf + strlen(buf), "blah.....");
>
> or 2)
>
> sprintf(buf, "%sblah......", buf);
>
> Or do these two end up the same at the binary level
> anyway?

I couldn't tell you about that, but there's a reason why CircleMUD changed
all the:
sprintf(buf, "%s...", buf);
sprintf(buf + strlen(buf), "...");

The main reason, as I recall, is that a compiler for Windows, Borland I
believe, clears out a buffer before printing into it.

So sprintf(buf, "%s...", buf); ends up just being "...".

I personally use sprintf(buf + strlen(buf), "..."); for no other real reason
than personal preference.  I don't use Borland or anything, but it's nice to
know your code is consistent.

-k.