Re: [CODE] memory usage

From: Chris Field (chrisf@ptd.net)
Date: 09/07/99

At 10:54 PM 9/7/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to lower the
>amount of memory that a game uses?
Well one thing that I can think of is probably even uglier than the world
swap patch, and that is throwing the entire world array into a binary file.
 This would slow access time(though maybe no significantly) if you hash the
file.  You still have to hack olc.  Also you would have to hack some way of
storing variable length text fields into a text file saved somewhere else.
This would be a fun project if you have time, and could result in major
savings, and if you use mmap and you cache in the proper way you may even
be able to get it running at a speed that it proves worthwhile to use it.

Another idea is to use linked lists more extensively in the zone table and
eliminate arrays totally, but if your array is pretty used up, you may just
gain more memory usage by the added pointers.

These are just some preliminary ideas....

Cervo
Leader
 MWO