Re: [CODE] memory usage

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 09/09/99

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Chris Gilbert wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to lower the
>amount of memory that a game uses?

You could demand-load zones like some other MUDs do.  Be prepared to
rewrite most of db.c if you do so though.

>I've looked at the wldswp patch from
>ceramic mouse, but don't like the idea of having all the test saved out
>into a file and then loaded back in as needed

With the current database setup, there aren't many other options.

>I've pondered compressing the text as
>it loads in, and then uncompressing it as it's needed, but I don't think
>it'll give a great saving in real usage.

Probably decent savings, though you'd still have to fix every place in the
MUD that uses them.

>Has anyone come across this kind of problem before?

SDRAM is too cheap for most people to mind.  I still have EDO though but
got it before the price went through the roof.

--
George Greer            | The CircleMUD FAQ
greerga@circlemud.org   | http://developer.circlemud.org/docs/FAQ/