Re: Muliple Attacks problem

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 09/28/99

Today, Tony Maro spake to the list:

> Can you give more detail regarding how this was done?  For instance, in
> the above example, is it still 3 attacks then tail then 3 attacks then tail
> or can it be:

I believe what he is discussing is basically the same technique I
described well over (I think) a year ago.  The speed is calculated on a
per-round basis (i.e., after this attack, how long is it before they can
manage to attack again).  He appears to have some extensions to the idea
for different means of attack.  That is, if I slash him with my one-handed
sword, it'll be a while before I can bring around my sword again to use it
again, but I could punch him square in the jaw with my other hand.  So the
order of the attacks is entirely dependent upon the initial role,
subsequent speed checks, and what, if any, user-definable tactic the
player is using in the combat.  For instance, if I am going to be highly
aggressive in combat, I would get off many attacks at a high speed but be
very vulnerable to counter-attacks and tiring out quickly.

The basic method I first described would mean that a player could
conceivably manage five attacks before the other could manage one.  With
the extensions of the delays being on a per-weapon basis (weapon applying
to arms, legs, tails, etc., that are essentially unequipped as well as
sword, flail, mace, etc.), the order of the attacks for one person would
interchange.  That is,

  1   I attack with left claw, attack timer = 4
      I attack with right claw, attack timer = 3
      I attack with tail, attack timer = 13

  2   Opponent readies shield, attack timer = 1
      Opponent draws sword, attack timer = 5

  3   None.

  4   I attack with right claw, attack timer = 6
      Opponent paries blow, attack timer = 2

  5   I attack with left claw, attack timer = 4

  6   None.

  7   Opponent attacks with sword, attack timer = 4

  8   None.

  9  I attack with left claw, attack timer = 4
     Opponent paries blow, attack timer = 5

  10 I attack with right claw, attack timer = 4

  11 Opponent attacks with sword, attack timer = 4

  12 Opponent switches stance, no penality.

  13 I attack with left claw, attack timer = 4

  14 I attack with tail, attack timer = 10
     Opponent parries blow, attack timer = 6

  15 Opponent attacks with sword, attack timer = 2

and so on.  This is really a system of combat without any rounds, the
numbers on the left are timing marks.  There's no guarantee that each mark
will have any action or that both characters will get an attack on that
mark.  An overview, however, would resemble:

    2 claws, tail, player penality for not being combat ready
    1 claw, player parry, 1 claw
    player attack, 1 claw, player parry
    1 claw, player attack
    player switch stance, 1 claw
    1 claw, player parry, player attack

Note that this brief discussion doesn't touch on the finer points.  For
instance, it isn't clear when or if one attack has a penality or bonus for
the effectiveness of another attack.  If the mobile turns around to whip
you with its tail, there are several things to consider: one, does this
penalize the victim in any way (e.g., fall down, lose balance, put shield
out of position making next parry take longer); two, does this penalize
the mobile in any way (e.g., claw attacks penalized, defense down against
any attack falling within the next few timing marks of this attack, player
gets initiative bonus if not knocked out of position/balance, mobile's
chance of parry/dodge diminished).

-dak