ID Numbers, was Re: Is there a mail bug?

From: Peter Ajamian (pajamian@cheapsam.com)
Date: 10/13/99

Peter Ajamian wrote:

<snip>

> > > recieved by the new player or any players after that (someone
> > > correct me
> > > if I'm wrong, but I believe that old ID numbers are never
> > > reassigned).
> > >

> > But if a character is created using a deleted characters name, I
> > believe it reuses the ID number, thus sending the original
> > character's mail to the new one.
> >
> > It'd probably be best to zap all the character's mail when they are
> > deleted, just to be on the safe side.
>
> I'm using Circle30bpl14.  I did try it out to make sure and when a
> player is deleted and a new player takes the name the enw player gets a
> new ID number, NOT the original.

One additional note:  It is possible to explicitly assign or reassign an ID
number with the set command as follows...

set [file] <player> idnum <#>

I haven't bothered looking into this to see what if any limitations or
implications are involved in setting a player's ID number.

This could be used as a workaround method of deleting a specific player's
MudMail after they are deleted (create a new character, set new character's
ID number to that of deleted player, retrieve MudMail, junk MudMail, delete
character).

This can also be used as an easy way to restore an accidentally deleted
player's MudMail (simply set his ID back to his old ID).

At any rate, I just thought I'd throw in this tidbit.

Regards,

Peter