Re: Crazy Idea

From: Peter Ajamian (pajamian@cheapsam.com)
Date: 12/27/99

Michael Gallagher wrote:

> I had this crazy idea this morning. When i need to recompile on my mud.
> I don't shutdown the mud, i recompile while it's running and then i
> shutdown reboot. But i was thinking, do i need to log onto the shell
> a/c at all. If i made a "compile" cmd that would go into the src dir
> and do "make circle".
>
> So maybe all i'd have to do is upload my new code thru FTP then go on
> the mud and compile and then shutdown reboot.
>
> Just an idea. It's a step closer to online coding, lol. Obviously u'd
> want to be sure ur code has no errors, I just thought i'd mention it.

I don't recall if you mentioned what OS you're running on.  The
following will only work as-is under Linux/Unix/etc.  You can probably
do something similar under Windows (but I don't know of an easy way to
make something run in the background under Windows).

You will need to write a script file to do the make for you...

#!/bin/sh
# File: automake
cd src
make circle &> ../make.out

Then in act.wizard.c...

ACMD(do_make)
{
  system("automake &"); /* Note the & to run it in the background, that
way the MUD
                           won't lag horribly while it's compiling. */
}

Regards, Peter