Re: Repeating prompts in zMUD and bpl16,clientorseverproblem?wasRe: Login?

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 12/29/99

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>Ahhh, a perfect example.  Because your browser (client) won't work with
>Zuggsoft you decide not to bother with them rather than changing your
>browser.

Nope, sorry, try again.

Zuggsoft probes the "netbios-ns" service on my machine, which I have
blocked for all but trusted hosts.  They should not require a probe for
that service and I have it there for legitimate security reasons so I feel
no need to remove it for them.  If they wanted identification, the identd
service is there for just that and it is not blocked.  (Granted, I could
change my filter to reject instead of deny, but why require it in the first
place. Just like Doubleclick.net probes your Echo port on every page view.)

>The same holds true with a MUD, if someone's client doesn't work with
>your MUD they will most likely not bother playing your MUD rather than
>changing thier client.  And most players could care less weather it's the
>MUD that has a bug or thier client.

These are two different statements:

  "Your browser is too old so you cannot access this site."

  "Your browser cannot handle frames, please consider upgrading to [LINK]."

I didn't say I wouldn't report the problem.  I will, it'll just take longer
now.

>Exactly, so what can I do to keep those players who are using a "broken"
>client playing my MUD?  Since I can't fix thier client, my only recourse
>is to make my MUD work with thier client.

Tell them why the problem occurs and how to fix it.

>> What do you think standards are for? Breaking?
>
>I don't think so, but apparently Zuggsoft does.

Especially with the netbios-ns probe.  Must be Cold Fusion (.cfm)

--
George Greer            | The CircleMUD FAQ
greerga@circlemud.org   | http://developer.circlemud.org/docs/FAQ/