Re: Repeating prompts in zMUD and bpl16,client or severproblem?was Re: Login?

From: Bill Forgette (wildbillforgette@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/31/99

--- Daniel Burke <addictmud@home.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be more productive to actually appeal to
> the authors of the clients
> to FIX their programs instead of having Circle be
> non-standard?
>
> Dan.

In my opinion, it would be productive to do that to
make things conform to being standard, but I feel that
is highly unrealistic given the number of clients
(either mud clients or telnet apps) out there that
player use.  Yes you could just focus on the few
popular ones, but someone would always be left out.

This feeling of mine is due from experience of working
with multiple software vendors who implement standards
in their projects - i.e. Z39.50.  All claim to follow
the standard but it is a pain to get one server from
company x using Z3950 to talk to company y using
Z3950.  Both will claim to follow the standard and
blame the other for not following

 I like the idea of Chris's below - either a define or
an option in the config.c file

> > Chris Gilbert wrote:

> > As an idea for bpl17 how about making the
> echo_on() and echo_off()
> > changes optional by selectively compiling based on
> a #define (btw I
> > would recommend disabling it by default)?

My .02
Bill

Bill Forgette
wildbillforgette@yahoo.com