Re: Hmm, a general question...

From: Ron Hensley (ronh@intercom.net)
Date: 01/10/00

Well one last option along those lines is to simply require identd, which
there is already a patch for.
Well the patch retrieves and displays information from the identd daemon on
the client computer, but doesnt
demand it be there, though that's easy to hack.

The difference there is that there are identd programs already done, and
freely distributable for windows, macs, and linux (All linux for the most
part already have ident going).

The downside, is a user on a windows box can pretty much straight out lie
and fill in any username they want, thus you aren't really gonna stop anyone
with it.

That's what IRC servers use btw. MIRc has an identd daemon built into it as
many IRC servers wont let you connect
unless your computer responds to an identd request,

The long and short... good point... you'd have to compile a version for
different operating systems. If it were strictly a command line program
written in C then that same C code would compile on the different platforms
easy enough.
What's harder, is coding it to see what OS its on, and use whatever method
is appropriate to pluck the unique info off the users computer to verify who
they are.

On Unix have have the uname() call and the getuid() calls, windows API
provides a registry to dig through for computer name and usernames, macs?
Beats me what they provide.