Re: Bpl 16 Num of Mob Attacks

From: Fabrizio Baldi (baldif@tin.it)
Date: 01/11/00

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray Campbell <deadeye00@home.com>
To: <CIRCLE@POST.QUEENSU.CA>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 11:07 AM
Subject: [CIRCLE] Bpl 16 Num of Mob Attacks

> Hmmm, well, was just searching through the code for a while (fight.c)
> because players were questioning the reason why mobs didn't hit them
> back when they fought them.  I thought this was very odd seeming that I
> haven't attacked the perform_violence routine at all.  So I looked at it
> and noticed this comment:
> (approx. line 975 in stock bpl16 code.)
>
> /* have to implement a better way for number of attacks for mobs*/
> num_of_attacks += ((int) GET_LEVEL(ch) / 10) - 1;
>
> and I realized something, now if a person is fighting a mob that is
> level 10 or below, the mob does not hit the player.  This doesn't make
> much sense to me, in fact it doesn't make ANY.  Why would you not want a
> player to be able to get hit at all in a fight?  Anyhow, I find this
> quite disturbing, and what I really want to know is why was this
> implemented this way, and was it put in there as a quick solution
> without really testing it, or is it more or less an "adjust at your own
> will" type deal.  I'm just utterly confused by the matter, and was
> wondering if anyone else had some input on the subject.
>
> Oh yes, and this:
>
>     /* reset to 1 attack */
>     num_of_attacks = 1;
> comes a little before that previous code, but still if a mob is level 10
> or below the -1 makes it so that it has 0 attacks.  Absurd, just absurd.
> Any input boys and gals?

all the input you want.. :-))

this is not stock blp16 code.. this is code from my weapon_prof.txt
snippet..

as stated in the snippet's head, I have modified the code beyond this
snippet and my mobs have different number of attacks depending on class ad
races.. that 2 line of code that reduce to 0 the mob's number of attacks, as
you say, "was put in there as a quick solution without really testing it"..
it's just a replacement of MY original code that wouldn't have worked for
others..

I tought that the commen was well self-explanatory that YOU "have to
implement a better way for number of attacks for mobs"..

Anyway, if you have bored to read the comments in the snippets (at beginning
AND end of .txt file), you would have found my email address and could have
wrote me for help or, as I requested, to point out bugs or problems..

ah, thanks anyway for the requested email that let me know you are using my
code.. I suppose my copyright note has been erased, too.. good job, boy!
:-))

so long

Fabrizio
email: baldif@tin.it