Re: VI editor

From: Ron Hensley (ronh@intercom.net)
Date: 01/21/00

You would have the same problem no matter what editor you used under
Dos/Windows, even a ported Vi program, as they all rely on the Dos/Windows
File system calls which use the Dos Carriage Return Linefeed on the end of
each line, whereas Unix only uses the Carriage Return.

What you need to do is FTP the files to your unix server in Ascii mode,
which automatically saves the file on the Unix side without the ^M, or if
that isn't feasible, then you parse the file once on Unix and strip off the
^M's. There are a million and one ways to do so
vi file
:$s/^M//g
:wq!