Re: [NEWBIE] Coding

From: Robert Moon (LegalWriter@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/25/00

At 09:28 PM 1/25/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello all...
>
>Im very new to coding in C and i want to add a thing to my mud so that you
can place info about where you live and stuff in the score list....
>I want this to be add when you do the character...but i dont know how?
>
>Can anyone be nice and tell me how to do this?

While I'll be nice in how I reply, I won't -- and neither will anyone else
on this list -- code for you.  What you want to do is not a simple one-step
code addition and could be considered advanced for a newbie.  In fact, it
incorporates several pertinent files.  My first suggestion is to read the
FAQ of this list and then get yourself a book on C coding.  Thereafter,
spend a few weeks looking at the code to determine the what/where/how of
each function.  As nudge in the right direction, however, I'll point you to
the relevant files.

First, you'll need to modify structs.h to add the new CON_xxx state that
players will enter when prompted for their hometown.  Then you'll need to
add various #define statements that give values for each HOMETOWN_xxx.
Then you'll need to modify interpreter.c to account for your new prompt of
"Hometown?".  Then you'll need to modify constants.c to create a structure
of the textual names of each hometown.  Then you'll need to modify
act.informative.c to display the hometown in do_score.  Then you'll need to
modify act.wizard.c to allow immortals to set a player's hometown....
Understand now why people aren't just going to provide you with the "quick"
code?  That's because there is none.  :)  Believe me, you'll learn a heck
of lot more -- and faster -- if you trudge through and do it yourself.