Re: Versioning w/ Oasis

From: StormeRider (silk@ici.net)
Date: 01/30/00

At 04:02 PM 1/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hmmm....
>
>This could present a problem with the OpenVMS port of CircleMUD as OpenVMS
>automatically does file versioning automatically. (i.e. 0.wld;1 0.wld;2 etc..)

By versioning, I don't mean file versioning like VMS does. (Though VMS is
an OS that
I used in my early years and intend to get an Alpha or a VAXStation to run
OpenVMS
on for novelty/hobbyist purposes). It's more to detail versions of the
"format" of the files.

Ie, a long time back I wrote a patch that sits on the ftp site as
areas.patch. It adds a few
more fields to the zone file format. Once you have applied the patch, you
must go through
_every_ zone file and _by hand_ add in the additional fields.

With versioning, you can see that the version is lesser than the current,
so you don't try to
scanf with an incorrect format, you add in default values to the struct,
and let the MUD
integrate default values, write it back out in the new version, and you
never have to hand
edit your area files.

--StormeRider