Re: a couple of questions.

From: Del (caminturn@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/03/00

Not meaning to sound harsh here, but a lot of these questions can be
answered easily. Reading the FAQ and WTFAQ will answer a few of them.
The rest are answered by common sense, look at the code and find
something that works similar to what you want. Copy that and modify
to your needs.

Adam G Dobrinin wrote:

> 1.  How do I wait a specific amount of time (ex. 1 sec, 2 sec, etc.)?

Check out dg events or dg scripts.

> 2.  How do I take input from a player?  (getchar() doesn't work.)

Depends on what you want to do.

if you want the command "say" to take specific input from the character
and do something special.. then look at do_say

> 3.  Also, my houses are not working.  Players do not start where they are
> supposed to.  Where should I look to fix this?

Where are they supposed to load?

> 4.  How do I parse a line like 'say Level 1'?  Since 'Level 1' is one
> argument I want to put the '1' into a separate integer  variable so that
> I can use a switch() statement.

"level 1" is two arguments I believe.
try using grep command (or find in windows) and find "two_arguments"
and see #2.

> 5. Here is the screen:
>
>    BASH.EXE-2.01$ patch < obj_mail.diff
>    patching file `mail.c'
>    Hunk #1 FAILED at 212.
>    Hunk #2 succeeded at 297 (offset 64 lines).
>    Hunk #3 FAILED at 370.
>    Hunk #4 succeeded at 365 with fuzz 2 (offset -2 lines).
>    Hunk #5 succeeded at 553 with fuzz 2 (offset 111 lines).
>    Hunk #6 FAILED at 566.
>    Hunk #7 succeeded at 473 (offset -47 lines).
>    Hunk #8 succeeded at 651 (offset 111 lines).
>    3 out of 8 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to mail.c.rej
>    patching file `mail.h'
>    patch: **** can't rename `C:\WINDOWS\TEMP/po001001' to `mail.h' : File
> exists
>    BASH.EXE-2.01$
>
> How do I fix this?

Learn what a patch file is, and how it works. read the WTFAQ and FAQ.
You will have to patch in by hand (type it manually) into the code
by comparing the "mail.c.rej" that it created (look right after hunk #8
above)
to mail.c and fit it in.