Re: ASCII pfiles and speed

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 02/04/00

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Mark A. Heilpern wrote:

> >     Using ASCII pfiles instead of binary adds a great deal of flexibility as
> >far as adding new stuff goes, so I decided to add them to the mud I'm
> >working on.  However, it takes the mud a lot longer to get through the
> >save_char function, as it's doing a lot more work than before.

        <Mark's other stuff snipped>
> I have 65 levels in the mud; I advanced a player from 1 to 65, and it happened
> faster than I could blink.

        Ditto, we've got 110 levels, and a really nasty, poorly optimized
original version of ascii pfiles, and bang-snap it was done.  Never ever
had it long enough to even consider a missed pulse.

        However, just to hone my sql skills, I was thinking about putting
it all in a nice database.  Addition/Removal of structs/etc should be
cake, as well as in-place modification.  Add the power of triggers and
in-database functions, and you have all the power of ascii pfiles (no
pwipe, easy to add new things, ability to edit easily) plus a slew more.

        I've started on it, but then I stopped because I wanted to ask
George how his generic loading functions were coming, and how one would
write up a module for using sql calls to a nice simple compliant database
to interface with that. ;)

        Of course, I had forgotten to ask till uh.. i guess now.

                                        PjD