Re: Command History

From: Chris Gilbert (chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 02/13/00

Chris Proctor wrote:

> > You must have changed the mode that the client works, I can't get
> > anything to do that with straight telnet under linux (maye windows
> > telnet does though...)
>
> Pine certainly works in character mode, regardless of which telnet client
> you're in. Of course, with a mud client like zmud you have to specifically
> put it into character mode before it'll work that way, but standard telnet
> clients do that by default . . .

From man telnet
     Once a connection has been opened, telnet will attempt to enable
the
     TELNET LINEMODE option.  If this fails, telnet will revert to one
of two
     input modes: either ``character at a time'' or ``old line by line''
de­
     pending on what the remote system supports.

Telnet always attempts to switch to linemode, it's only if it gets told
not to that it doesn't.  eg shells, pine etc need to receive every char
press, so telnetd tells the connecting client to not do it.

Quick check of telnet with options toggle turned on:
telnet> toggle options
Will show option processing.
telnet> set tracefile -
tracefile set to "(standard output)".
telnet> open localhost 4000
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

                              Your MUD Name Here
                              lib/text/greetings

                            Based on CircleMUD 3.0,
                            Created by Jeremy Elson

                      A derivative of DikuMUD (GAMMA 0.0),
                created by Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt, Katja Nyboe,
               Tom Madsen, Michael Seifert, and Sebastian Hammer

By what name do you wish to be known? kris
RCVD WILL ECHO
SENT DO ECHO
Password: RCVD WONT ECHO
SENT DONT ECHO
RCVD WONT NAOFFD
RCVD WONT NAOCRD

doing the same to a std telnet:
telnet> toggle options
Will show option processing.
telnet> set tracefile -
tracefile set to "(standard output)".
telnet> open localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
[snip lots of sents]
SENT WILL LINEMODE
[snip lots of responses]
RCVD DONT LINEMODE

To enable the char behaviour you'd need to send the DONT LINEMODE telnet
options.

Cheers,
Chris