Re: Sorry about where can I get this MUD.

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/16/00

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Patrick Dughi wrote:

>         1. not my server. my particular mud has been stolen by the server
> operatior in the past, though I was not affiliated with it at that time.

There's nothing you can do about this.  You're probably going to end up
having to compile the files on that computer at one time or another.  So
all it really takes is the 'root' user to be around at the right time or
make regular backups of your files.  It'd be harder for him, true, but
certainly not impractical.  And if you're worried about 'root', then you
shouldn't be running your Mud on his computer.

There's certain risks you just have to live with, and no amount of
planning and coding and convuluted ideas will save you.  Basically, you
have to accept the risk that you've misplaced your trust.  In the case of
'root', you've placed complete trust with your data in that person.  In
the case of a coder, he doesn't need access to all of your files, so if
you're giving him access to all of your files without using the tools that
are quite easily at hand to restrict that access, well,... Really, you
have no legitimate complaint when you give someone more power than need
dictates and they abuse that power.

>         2. all coders + mud source share a common shell.

Why?!  All of the pay services seem to give you multiple logins and, for
free services, there's basically no overhead for having two or three
users.  So I really can't understand why something like this would be true
*ever*.

-dak