Re: [Off Topic] how to fix Mandrake's coredump prob. h.net.au>

From: StormeRider (silk@ici.net)
Date: 03/11/00

At 05:37 PM 3/12/00 +1100, you wrote:
> > At 12:03 AM 3/8/00 -0800, George Greer wrote:
> > >On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Anil Mahajan wrote:
>

> > daemon is a function used in system startup scripts.
> > inetd is started with a startup script that uses daemon.
> > telnet is spawned by inetd.
> > if daemon sets a max limit for core dumps to 0, this will affect telnet
> > sessions.
> >
> > And as the startup script for SSH that I had used the daemon function call,
> > the same applied to it.
> >
> > If the shell which is spawned by telnet or ssh has a max coredump limit
> of 0,
> > so will the MUD.
> >
> > Make sense?
>
>Hence my suggestion to put the ulimit in autorun.

Which doesnt work, since the max is set as root from the chain of processes
that
flow to give you your shell, you can't change it as a user. Ie, you use
"ulimit -c
unlimited", and then do another "ulimit -a" and see the coredump size set

Once the hard limit is set within a process, it can only be adjusted downwards,
unless you're root.

--SR