Re: Newbie - I cannot enter my MUD for first time

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 03/21/00

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Bartsch, Randy wrote:

> I finally configured and made my first mud and started it up using
> vms_autorun program (i guess that is what im supposed to use??). (Yay)
> But when i enter my ip address and port 4000 in either zmud or telnet
> and try to connect, it says that i cant connect to that ip address on
> that port.  Im using circle 3.0 (the default port is 4000, so that's not
> the problem.)  and i copied and pasted my ip address probably 20 times
> from 3 different sources, including the winipcfg program, so I believe i
> have the right ip address. I can telnet and zmud to other people's muds
> so those apps work fine.  One problem that i may have introduced was
> that i compiled in linux and i want to run my mud out of windows 98. Can
> I do that? (linux wont recognize my isa network card so i cant use
> internet in linux: long story nevermind).  Anyone have any ideas?

        Okay. Whew.

1) Starting the mud

  If you're running in windows, i'm going to guess the vms_autorun.com
(which sounds like a vax program) is not going to be the right thing.
There are a few ways around this, but I don't remember at this moment if
there's a "Right Way(tm)" to run the mud under windows.  For now, you can
switch to the base directory (circle30bpl17/ ) or whatever, and run the
command "./bin/circle.exe -q -o 4000".  Because of the way circle works,
you have to execute this command with the current working directory one
lower than the lib directory.  Because you are not running from a script
commands like shutdown reboot will not reboot the mud.  Additionally, if
the mud crashes, you will have to click on the 'close' message box that
will come up or you will not be able to restart the mud.

        The easiest long-term solution, I think, is to install the cygnus
tools and run the shell script (autorun).  You could also get perl and try
the autorun.pl file.  You'll still probably have that ok/debug/cancel box
coming up though.

2) Connecting to your mud

        You probably got the ip right; just in case, you can always telnet
to 'localhost' or 127.0.0.1 and it will always be your machine.

3) Compiling the mud

        Yes, it is possible to compile in linux and run in windows.
However (no offense) I think this configuration trick is beyond you.
Normal standard installation of most gcc packages doesn't allow this.  Try
sticking to running it only in the OS you compiled it in, for now.

4) Networking under linux

        Sort of out of scope to this list, but I'll try to answer anyway.
I'm going to assume you know enough that you have set up your networking
correctly, regardless of your network card working or not.  You probably
then already know you can test your mud - at least locally - by telneting
to your loopback address at 127.0.0.1.

        Now, The most probable problem is that your kernel doesn't
currently support networking, or at least your card (alot of them compile
in network support, but have all network cards as modules, and in such a
configuraiton that they don't load).  We're going to try a few things;

   a) load all your modules.

        as root, cd to /lib/modules/<current kernel version>/net
ex:
        # cd /lib/modules/2.0.36-3/net
        #

        now, use the insmod program to load all the drivers;
ex:
        # insmod -f *.o

        Do this several times, often modules depend on other modules to be
loaded for themselves to load.

        You may have to also try this in the 'misc' directory, and then
return to the 'net' directory and try again.  This works with some
certain low-cost "ne2000 (almost) compatiable" cards, like the D-link
series, and some others with kitchy marketing sounding names that don't
come with even windows driver disks.

        After all this, type '/sbin/ifconfig'.

        If you don't see an entry for eth0, this tactic probably failed.
        If you don't see an entry for lo, your networking is not on at
        all. go to choice b.

    b) rebuild your kernel.

        Verify that you have the latest kernel sources - usually located
in /usr/src/linux<kernel version>  - a symlink at /usr/src/linux should
also be pointing to this directory.  If there are only a couple of files
in there, and they're mainly .h files, you will have to get a new kernel
source.  Get the latest from a site like ftp.kernel.org, or any of a
million places.

        Unpack it and do the whole kernel configuration/build/install
process (there is an informative README file in the directory).  Make sure
that you have included networking support, and are using Unix sockets, and
have included the tcp/ip protocol.  Make sure also, that you have included
your networking card.  After installing, reboot and you should see your
network card driver come up in the startup messages.   If not, you may
have to search on popular sites for your network card, usually you'll find
a spare/experimental driver that gives enough functionality to work.
Failing that, try step a.  Some cards (esp ne2000 ripoffs) will not be
correctly identified as such, and thus they will not work unless the
modules are explicitly loaded.

    c) Give up.

        Yes, it's too hard.  Get the version of gcc for windows from
cygnus.com, and follow the 'howto' for windows (doc/README.WIN is a good
place to start).  You should be up in running in no time.

                                        PjD