Re: Newbie [OFF TOPIC] - flames

From: Tony Maro (tony@maro.net)
Date: 04/06/00

> building my MUD offline and trying to get as much knowledge as I
> can before I start up and compile so I don't have to ask all of
> you some simple FAQ's or WTFAQ's and get the mail back with a
> "RTFM" or "RTFC" or even better "Try the link below".

It's pretty sad that many people feel the list is so hostile as to
have to preamble everything with a "please don't beat me up".

I've noticed that this seems to be getting worse recently, and I've
been on the list off and on for about 3 years now.

No, I'm not "trolling" for angry responses.  I know this has been
covered recently and if Alex and the like thought it was getting
out of hand someone would handle it.  No, I have nothing to do
with the administration of the list.  I just felt the need to
put my two cents in and congratulate Lars for having the guts to
actually still be able to ask a question, knowing that everyone
(okay, not quite everyone) will flame him for asking a question.

Another thing I've noticed is that many people on the list speak
English as their second or third language (me, it's fifth after
Pascal and C++).  This causes a little more effort on the person
who chooses to answer the question, however more often than not
is just another source of flames.  Hey, Americana!  You try asking
a question in Spanish or Italian and see how you do!

I'm proud to say that I have _NEVER_ flamed someone for a question
(of course I rarely post) - more importantly, how often do you
see Alex flame someone for one of these kinds of questions?

I DO see a need to draw and quarter anyone who posts to the list
wanting to know how to get off it.  <hehe>  They should be subscribed
25 more times to effectively fill their e-mail box daily.

As for me... I've been personally reprimanded by Alex before for
the format of my messages - not the content.  See, Alex, I'm
quoting BENEATH the original text.  Aren't you proud of me?!?
<hehe>

-Tony