Re: [NEWBIE] Oasis OLC for bpl17

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 05/04/00

> Hello Look, ive been trying this for very long time now, to get Oasis
> OLC v2.0 into my mud... Im using circle bpl 17 on a slakware 7.0
> computer. I red the OLC help file and it says i should copy all the
> things in the olc dir named /src to my src directory in my mud dir, ok,
> i did that, no problemas yet.

        Wow. I'd have thought it was a patch, but - hey - don't look at
me, I haven't ever installed this piece of code.  But if you just copy
things over, you're destroying all your previously existing files.  That's
mostly likely bad.

> Then it said i should run ./configure and then make in the src
> directory, here is the problem, it wont compile because it says:
> Makefile:28: *** Missing separator, Stop or something like that, i know
> why, that Makefile is looking exactly as the Makefile.in looks in the
> OLC src directory, and when i configured the real Makefile became
> Makefile.in and it sure doesnt looks like a Makefile should... The
> problem on line 28 in the Makefile is that there isnt any red thingys in
> the left, thats gone... but thats not the only problem, the makefile
> wouldent do anything i think... because it doesnt look like the original
> Makefile at all...

        Okay, I am not the source for grammar or spelling, but there are
these things in english called 'periods'.  They delineate a sentance.  You
must use them, or you will be beaten.

        The 'missing separator' means that you didn't put in a tab
previous to issuing a command in your makefile.  An example:

mynewfile.c: mynewfile.c mynewfile.h conf.h sysdep.h otherfiles.h
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) myfile.c

^^^^^^^^ this part is not 8 spaces, but a tab.  You have to put a tab in
there.  You would have found this problem immediately if you would have
searched the circlemud archives - the link can be found by reading the faq
referenced at the bottom of this letter.

> Now i wonder how i could make it compile, should i put in the extra olc
> files in the original Makefile somehow, because i dont want it too look
> like Makefile.in, what does Makefile.in do anyway?

        I don't even know the state of your system after copying over
several files, but I can tell you what Makefile.in does.  Makefile.in is
your initial copy of your Makefile.  Configure determines what your system
setup is and modifies your Makefile to make it work for your system.  If
you add source files, or make changes to your system you want to keep
around, you almost always want to add them to your Makefile.in as well as
your Makefile.  That way, if you ever re-reun configure, your Makefile
will be properly created.

                                                PjD