Re: Rankings instead of Levels m_gally@HOTMAIL.COM on Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:21:13AM -0400

From: Christian Loth (chris@gidayu.max.uni-duisburg.de)
Date: 06/11/00

Greetings,

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:21:13AM -0400, Michael Gallagher wrote:
> I was thinking of putting a system into my mud whereby Players get a mud
> ranking. A Ranking of of all the players on the mud, this means a new
> player would be 300 out of 300 for example, and the next highest player
> would be 299 out of 300. With this i would "hide" the level system, this
> seemed like a simple procedure and I was going to have the ranking run off
> exp also, so players of the same level could be seperated out. I would have
> run it solely off exp but we have a training stats system. When coding this
> i realised I was going to have to hide exp also, this had much larger
> implications.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, you'd need
to iterate through all players and the complete playerfile (all
playerfiles, depending on what you use) whenever a player gains
'hidden' experience, to determine if his rank has increased? If I
misunderstood, please explain in more detail.

Otherwise I'd say this would be a terrible waste of runtime, especially
if your playerbase is in the thousands.

- Chris

--
Christian Loth