Re: Coins

From: Fizal (amustapa@GameBox.net)
Date: 06/17/00

Yes, I know it's a slightly old topic:

At 12:36 PM -0400 3/6/2000 , Dana Luther wrote:
>like that. You might have a valuable necklace with some gems in it and
>if you needed to pay for something you'd break off a gem or some silver off
>a linked belt etc.
[...]
>This way, you're not carrying around a ton of coins, but you can wear your
>treasury for easy travel. (Also, considering that gems are typically going
>be much more valuable and lighter to carry, you significantly lighten your
>load.)

Hmm... interesting thot. Have to consider that, but much easier if it's
done as a barter instead of breaking the pieces up....

Anyway, another method that I was thinking of doing when I finally be able
to sit down and change coins to obj, is the use of letters of credit or
trade notes. Shopkeepers are set with an option to use banks. So far what
it does is that if the money is more than certain amount (5000gp I think),
the excess should go to the bank. If the shopkeeper doesn't have enough to
pay the player, he can issue a letter of credit and give it to the player
instead which the player can deposit/exchange at the bank.
    ITEM_PAPER: v0 - languages (not used)
                v1 - not used
                v2 - not used
                v3 - amount of credit.

The amount in the trade note can be deducted immediately upon issuing the
note, so that people won't be able to overdraw their account. Players can
also get the bank to issue letters of credit at certain denominations. Much
easier to carry compared to lugging 50lb of coins around....

>Just a few ideas/suggestions along the lines of the conversation.

I, Fizal, owe the bearer of this letter 2 copper pieces....

---

Afizal Mustapa
Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
(amustapa@hotmail.com)