[Newbie] Room/Zone limitations

From: Jeremy Stanley (mud@k4d4th.org)
Date: 06/19/00

I notice in Oasis I'm not permitted to initialize a new zone > #326 (room
#32699).  I presume this limitation is due to a signed 16-bit integer
value for the room number (since zone 327 would imply room 32799 which is
greater than 2^15 or 32768).  I haven't looked into the code yet to verify
this, so feel free to flame, but have any of you run into a problem with
this limit?  I can, for example, see that this would limit a 3-d world to
be slightly smaller than a 32x32x32 room cube.  Would it, in anyone's
opinion, break things to switch to an unsigned int or even a long?
Obviously, special provisions would have to be made for location -1 in the
former, but is this the only negative value used?  Seems like an awful
waste of rooms if so.  In the case of the latter, are there potentially
significant memory limitations with this?  Obviously 2.15 (signed) or 4.3
American million (unsigned) would be overkill, but that leaves "room" for
expansion, so to speak.  Since the worldfiles are in ASCII (I assume
that's default for most people--could be mistaken), this isn't likely to
invalidate them or require a file conversion I don't suppose.  Opinions?