Re: [CODE] SQL Playerbases/Saves

From: StormeRider (silk@ici.net)
Date: 07/09/00

Honestly, for something like the MySQL C API, I would recommend getting a
good book. There is one by New Riders, it runs about $40 and is well worth it.
It covers administration of the database server, the database tables, as
well as
SQL queries and the different programming APIs.

If you dont have the cash for that, www.mysql.com has an excellent section
on their website regarding the C API. The book, however, is better.

--SR

At 02:59 PM 7/9/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks for the reply. How did you do the database connect? and just one of
>the commands like a update? If i can figure that out i should be able to get
>the rest on my own. Any help would be great man.
>-jason
>
>----------
> >From: Daniel Burke <addictmud@HOME.COM>
> >To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> >Subject: Re: [CIRCLE] [CODE] SQL Playerbases/Saves
> >Date: Sun, Jul 9, 2000, 8:07 AM
> >

> > On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Jason Ragsdale wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>     Just wondering if anyone out there has intergrated a SQL database into
> >> their mud. If so i would like if i could ask a few questions and maby
> see a
> >> bit of code on how you did it at the key areas, I.E. SQL connect, and
> table
> >> updates. If you could please respond to jrags@mindspring.com. Thanks in
> >> advance for any help.
> >
> > AddictMUD uses mySQL extensivly to store information.  The playerfile,
> skills,
> > clan info, help, etc, etc... just about the only things we don't store in
> > mySQL is the world, aliases and rent.  It's very nice to have the
> information
> > stored in an easy to edit database.  If I add a new field to the player
> > structure, a quick alter table is the only player file converting that
> needs
> > to be done :)
> >
> > Speed has never been an issue.  I've been very careful about how I convert
> > things to mySQL, testing for speed, etc... we used to run on a p100 until
> > recently, just to give you an idea about how little CPU overhead it'll
>require.
> > (we just replaced that p100 with a nice 400mhz machine, so I may test
> > converting rent soon).
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > AddictMUD
> > http://www.addictmud.org
> > game.addictmud.org 4000

StormeRider             "Peace favor your code."
thelastsunrise.net 9000 (http://www.thelastsunrise.net)
windsofstorm.net 4008 (http://winds.windsofstorm.net)