Help with code

From: Dennis Cheung (dennis@kbd.com.au)
Date: 07/17/00

Hi all,
  I'm doing some changes on the source (for the do_who command), and
when I compile it, it just give me "act.informative.c:1446: unterminated
character constant"
and when i go to that line, its not even in the code where I trying to
change...
its in other function when the line said "send_to_char("Couldn't find
any such thing.\r\n", ch);" ...
can anyone give me an idea of what happen? and is it I make a mistake
where I change something that I shouldn't?
or are there any tools that I can find out which line really goes wrong,
I know gdb can help, but then isn't it gdb need a core file to work
with? and core file only create when its crash?
Thanx,
Dennis