Re: Circlemud/diku Licence

From: StormeRider (silk@ici.net)
Date: 07/19/00

>On the other hand, something like requiring money to play the game,
>giving users extra benefits within the game in exchange for cash or
>other compensation, and this kind of thing is not allowed.
>
>-Jeremy

What if a MUD decided to support a custom client for which they had
to pay to use? You could still connect via normal telnet, etc., but for the
additional services provided by a stronger client/server interaction a
monthly fee was imposed (support/development/bandwidth costs)?

I think we all can think of areas where the licenses are VERY vague. As
much as I like Diku-based MUDs, I don't blame people for the sudden
slew of new codebases of late. If I weren't so attracted to the cleanliness
(and OLC system... and the strong user community....) of the CircleMUD
code, I wouldn't want to be saddled with the vagarities of the Diku license.

Quoting from the Circle license:

-- You must not solicit or accept money or other donations in exchange for
    running CircleMUD.  You must not accept money or other donations from
    your players for purposes such as hardware upgrades for running
    CircleMUD.

This is one that I don't see as a clarification of the Diku license, after
reviewing the Diku license. This is a proviso of the Circle license that I,
to be honest, really don't like. If I'm having some troubles with a MUD
server, why can I not appeal to the people for which I am spending money
to assist me with either a cash donation for the hardware replacement
or a hardware donation for a replacement?

Not trying to be harsh, but if you're pro-GPL, and you're on the subject,
perhaps you can explain this one for me. :) And while I might still dislike
it, perhaps I can understand and live better with it.

--SR

--
StormeRider             "Peace favor your code."
thelastsunrise.net 9000 (http://www.thelastsunrise.net)