Re: Global buffers, are they more trouble than they're worth?

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 08/08/00

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>Consequently I have fallen into the practice of declaring these
>variables locally for every function they're used in except for ACMDs,
>but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to remove them alltogether?  I
>can understand the attempted savings in CPU time by not having to
>allocate and deallocate space for them as locals everytime a function
>declares them, but any decent optimizing compiler should completely wipe
>out his concern.

I believe, in retrospect, Jeremy said he wouldn't do it that way again.  I
could be confused though, as that conversation was a long time ago.

The idea was since they were always declared in every function, to make
them global to save the declaration space in the functions.  It really
wasn't much of a speed issue but more of code neatness.  You've already
found (as did I) the downside to this setup.  It's especially bad if you
try to thread it without the clever little coincidence I found in comm.c

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org