Re: Ports

From: Emil Nilimaa (eminil-7@student.luth.se)
Date: 09/08/00

Quoting Martijn Schoemaker <martijn@osp.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> >Also if it is possible to have the mud run on several
> >ports. So you can connect to it through the port you
can
> >access...
> >Like having the mud running on 5 different ports,
each
> >pointing to the same mudbase. (not some builders port
> >thing where you access the same mud just started
twice)

> A while ago I posted some code to let the mud listen
on
> a number of ports at the same time. Problem is when
you
> want to bind to a portnumber < 1024 you need to be
> root to do that. So you must either run the mud as
root,
> bind to the specific lower ports, and change your user
> to the mud user (setuid), or you have to run the mud
> under root (Not recommended). This was also included
in
> the snippet I posted I think.
>
> Another way is to write (or download) a wrapper
program
> which runs under root and redirects the requests on
the
> lower ports to your MUD port (tcpproxy is a good
alternative)

> So search the archives and if you don't find it, mail
> me and I'll repost it.
>
> Cheers,
> Aragorn
> Try : imagica.net 4000 (or 119) and be amazed.

Is it possible to fix this in the autorun script, so
it fixes that.

I can access root if i like, the server is my own.

And i would like to run the mud through port 23, using
autorun script etc.

Would be annoying to have to setuid each time you boot
the mud...

(I'm not too good at unix stuff yet)

/Emil