Re: autorun

From: Zeavon (zeavon@kilnar.com)
Date: 11/09/00

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Dustin E. MIller wrote:

> running  bin/circle -q 8080
> Nov  9 17:34:29 :: CircleMUD, version 3.00 beta patchlevel 17
> Nov  9 17:34:29 :: Using lib as data directory.
> Nov  9 17:34:29 :: Running game on port 8080.

Says here that you're trying to use port 8080.

> Nov  9 17:34:29 :: Finding player limit.
> Nov  9 17:34:29 ::    Setting player limit to 248 using rlimit.
> Nov  9 17:34:29 :: Opening mother connection.
> Nov  9 17:34:29 :: Binding to all IP interfaces on this host.
> SYSERR: bind: Address already in use

Says here that the address is already being used.

> Quick boot mode -- rent check supressed.
> Using file descriptor for logging.

An address is made up of several different parts. You have to have at
least three parts to every address and some addresses have extra things
added to the end. The three required parts to an address are protocol,
hostname and port.

telnet://spear.kilnar.com:1066
^^^^^^^^^|||||||||||||||| ^^^
|        |                |
Protocol |                Port
         Hostname

The protocol and port are usually filled in with defaults by the client
application, so the user usually only has to fill in one part. Here's a
breakdown:
In Netscape all three of these get you tot he same place:
spear.kilnar.com             [Protocol and port are assumed]
http://spear.kilnar.com/     [Port is assumed to be 80]
http://spear.kilnar.com:80/  [All information provided by user]

So, what I'm getting at is that someone is already using your address.
That means that the most likely culprit is the port number. telnet to port
8080 and make sure that it's not being used. If it is being used, then
pick a different port.

--
Zeavon Calatin, MageMaster of the Realms
Spear of Insanity