Re: [NEWBIE] I can't see whats wrong with this

From: Dana and Todd Luther (luthers@ex-pressnet.com)
Date: 12/06/00

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Vaughan" <vedic@AR-DIGIT.NET>
---snip---
> Try char_to_room(ch, real_room(r_mortal_link_room)) instead of
> char_to_room(ch, r_mortal_link_room). For the life of me I can't remember
> why this works and the other doesn't.
---snip---

This works because one is a vnum and the other is an rnum (as was stated in
an earlier reply).
When you create your rooms you create them all with vnums that are stay the
same from boot to boot and create a nice steady point of reference for us
human types to remember. The game reads the files and creates an index of
all the rooms, assigning them rnums so that it can keep track of everything.
When you pass a char_to_room() with a vnum like 11000 its looking for the
11000th room in the game. Not room 11000. and since it doesn't exist...
BOOM.

Hope that helps to clarify *WHY* this is so important. (btw. the same is
true for mobiles and objects, etc.)

Dana