Re: [LONG]circlemud.net subdomains

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 12/08/00

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>> I'm not sure how we'd do this.  I don't know of a way currently to make
>> BIND return the same IP address for any random string in a subdomain.  I've
>> known of places that have done it, so it's probably possible somehow.
>
>You could add an extra line after the rhudin entry like this...
>
>pathologicus            12H IN CNAME    pl.inetsolve.com.
>rhudin                  12H IN A        64.32.50.81
>*.rhudin                12H IN A        64.32.50.81
>eternal                 12H IN CNAME    eternal.outeractive.com.

For subdomain, *smack self*, I knew that... I haven't done it in so long I
forgot about the two methods:

setting the origin and then hostnames:
        $ORIGIN m-l.org.
and just the hostname (rooted or not):
        foo.bar.m-l.org.

I was thinking of externally-hosted subdomains loaded locally, which is
what the /etc/named.conf editing could entail.

>This is a wildcard entry and it should have the effect of returning that
>IN A record for every subdomain request to rhudin.circlemud.net.

Yep, * works, just tried it.  Never had the occaison to try such a thing
previously.

>> If you give us a hostname, we do a CNAME.  If you give us an IP, we do an A
>> (authoritative) record.  CNAME's aren't allowed to have MX records (or any
>> other information), IIRC.
>>
>Okay, I'm not positive about this, but I believe that a record CAN share
>CNAME and MX entries.  What you cannot do is point an MX record to a
>CNAME record, the hostname that you specify on the RIGHT side of an MX
>record must have an A entry and will not work with a CNAME, you can do
>whatever you want for the hostname on the LEFT side, though.  For
>example you couldn't do this...

I seem to remember BIND griping, so I looked up the error:

"%s has CNAME and other data (invalid)"

It'll also gripe about:

"NS points to CNAME"

Because it's hard to get the IP of the nameserver when you have to do a
lookup within that domain to get the nameserver for the domain.

>pathologicus            12H IN CNAME    pl.inetsolve.com.
>pathologicus            12H IN MX       rhudin.circlemud.net.

root@bacon:~# tail -2 /var/named/m-l.org
test.foo        IN      CNAME   m-l.org.
test.foo        IN      MX 10   m-l.org.

bacon named[458]: test.foo.van.m-l.org has CNAME and other data (invalid)
bacon named[458]: m-l.org:74:test.foo.van.m-l.org: CNAME and OTHER data error
bacon named[458]: master zone "m-l.org" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 2000120802)

>In fact, for those records that have a CNAME entry, I would highly
>recommend accompanying the entry with a corresponding MX entry as well,
>the reason is simple, mail servers will follow the MX entry, but they
>won't follow the CNAME...

The MX record of the A record looked up by the CNAME is used.

[...subdomains...]
>You don't need to mess with /etc/named.conf, you can do it like this...
>
>pathologicus            12H IN CNAME    pl.inetsolve.com.
>rhudin                  12H IN NS       NS1.MYDNSHOST.NET.
>rhudin                  12H IN NS       NS2.MYDNSHOST.NET.
>eternal                 12H IN CNAME    eternal.outeractive.com.

Yep, forgot about that.  It's been a while.