Re: What I (random j. coder/builders/admin) wants (was Re:[CIRCLE][Players] What we Want)

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 12/20/00

Patrick Dughi wrote:

> > >   as a builder, I want to see more tools; I want to have my building be
> > > easy. One click
> >
> > We're talking about a text-based game here, clicking has no way of
> > entering into the equation unless you want to write your own front end.
> > CircleMUD is not even aware, nor does it care, that a mouse even exists.
> >
> > >         Heck, I want a drag and drop interface
> >
> > Again, this is a text based game.
>
>         Hm. No one said that it all had to be text based.

But it is text based, and unless you want to write your own front end
you're pretty much stuck with text based.

> > > and other ways to make mobs identical to
> > > players, so they'll be a challenge.
> >
> > You mean balancing or?...
> >
>         Actually, i mean, a level 50 mob should have the same stats and
> relative powers/skills/abilities as a level 50 person.  An average(*)
> level _x_ person fighting an average level _x_ mob (where both x's are the
> same) should have a 50% survival rate.

I came up with a system where you go into medit for a new mob and the
first thing it does (before showing you the menu) is ask for the mob's
level.  It then calculates the mobs stats to have the same average stats
for that mob as a player of the same level (I had to do some serious
number crunching in order to come up with the formulas to do that).  At
that point the builder can tweak with the stats if he wants.  I've found
this system to be helpfull, however it does not take the place of
balancing.  In theory it works, but in practice there are other things
that play into a player's ability to beat a mob other than stats and the
only real way to know how much the mob can be beaten is to test it with
a player.

> > This is all easily done with stock CircleMUD.
>
> > Again, all this can be done with stock CircleMUD.
> >
> > >         No, most of these are not viable.
> >
>         Yes, they can be done with stock circlemud, but not in such a way
> that it can be done to STOCK circlemud.

No, I mean that the ability to do these things is already in stock
CircleMUD, no changes are necessary...

>         I also want more options, ways to differentate my zones from
> everyone elses that doesn't revolve around bigger, better, badder.  I want
> mazes, and traps, and secret doors,

This is simply a matter of what the builder chooses to do with thier
zone.  You can build a zone as creatively as you want, even without OLC.

> and altering descriptions,

Okay, this will require some tweaking, I missed it.

> I want to be able to make towns of
> people, not towns with 3 people and 12 shop keepers, and no sense of
> 'town'.  Hell, even nintendo games had random, non-plot related people
> wandering around their final fantasy (one)-style towns.  I want a sense of
> world, not a desert that takes the same number of steps to cross as the
> run from temple to your guild.

Again, this boils down to the creativity of the builder.

> > Depends on how you look at it, you can't have a great MUD without great
> > dreams and I tend to think that those people that fall into the trap of
> > trying to limit thier thinking to what's viable end up being the ones
> > who do not have new and innovative MUDs.
>
>         From what i've seen, very few people fall into that trap.  The
> majority of people seem to have dreams and goals, and high ideals.  They
> just never had the will or ability to carry them out.  The few with all
> three; ideals, will and ability - they can churn out some nice games - but
> though it all it's because they're practical.  Experience shows them they
> can't have everything at once, and they accept it and work in measured
> steps towards that goal, instead of the standard zipmud planning formula:
>
>         x ->    <then a miracle occurs>         -> y
>
>         Which usually involves at least one iteration of asking someone
> else to write it for them.
>
>         I'd rather people concentrate on what they can do, with knowledge
> that they can probably become better at programming to a point where they
> _Can_ do those things they want.  I've been on too many muds where the
> first 3 things out of the admin's mouth were of the type "I had this great
> idea, and I want to have it go in as soon as possible" - with a total lack
> of foresight or understanding of even the basic nature of the system they
> want to change.

Yes of course, I was thinking along the lines of someone who is
experienced with programming (I should know better than to do that).
Ceartainly I feel that one should have a decent grasp of C before
attempting to program in CircleMUD.  It amazes me how people attempt to
work on CircleMUD with little or no grasp of C and asking questions such
as, "What is the semicolon on the end of most of the lines for and why
isn't it at the end of all the lines?" (Yes I really WAS asked that).

Regards, Peter