Re: World file security (offline editor issues)

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 12/29/00

> Have you ever considered the possibility of GUI related CVS, for real
> time merges of files, also to allow availability of other zones based on
> demonstration to builders, why not set it up so the offline builder,
> will display in "real time" <- if that's even the word, not allowing
> (write) access, only (read).  I have not been able to take a look at
> your offline editor, nor hold much experience in Windows API related
> programming...  Just a thought

        I haven't ever really considered CVS, but it does bring up an
issue I hadn't considered - which is syncronization of editor to world and
back in a real-world situation.

        I'll need a mechanism to date,detect, and correct changes, as well
as some sort of conflict resolution system;  How to deal with Alex
changing the title of room 30, when Betty just commited her change to room
30 seconds ago; and they both have an identical set of original files.

        Perhaps item by item marking, for the 'save' option to only update
those new entries?  I suppose this can be done intelligently enough - hit
an update button, it checks to see what's changed since the last time you
updated (quick checksum on the files, or something), and then does an item
by item verification for each item you altered - if they fall in a zone
that's changed since you've downloaded a copy.  If it has changed, it
could preview the changes to be made, and you could accept htem or not.

        Perhaps.

                                                        PjD