Re: [NEWBIE] Stupid Question

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 12/31/00

> I have recently taken admin control of an established mud. That is up now for
> Four Years with a decent size player base. For most changes I have made, I
> have been able to find adequate documentation so that I felt comforatable
> making the changes to the code or adding things like socials. However one
> subject I have not really seen much if any doc's on is creating new zones. I
> have several zones that I need to delete and recreate but I am nervous about
> deleting and recreating as I dont know what files need to be made or info
> they may need for initial start up. And help on this would be appreciated or
> if you can point me to the location that this info, such as docs on the
> subject might be contained. Thanks and hope to soon be off the newbie subject
> and on to bigger and better.

        Actually, zone editing & removal isn't really a newbie topic.
It's hard to get right, and it depends on alot of things; like if you hard
coded rnums (saving any rnum is stupid, but I see it happen all the
time), and a few other things that always seem to pop up.

        If I were to make any sort of suggestion it would be to remove the
5 files from the index file (shp,mob,obj,etc).  Then try to boot and see
if you can :)  Hopefully, it should work.  If it does not, well, you
should now have an indication as to what you need to fix.

        From there you can possibly use zedit to create new zones, or
simply create the files from scratch as per the building.doc file.

                                                        PjD