Re: circlemud.net is down, why no backup?

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 01/04/01

George Greer wrote:

> The problem isn't the availability of a secondary server. The actual DNS
> file has:
>
>                         NS              cambot.circlemud.org.
>                         NS              dns.m-l.org.

Should've been able to get at least that when I did a ls -d in nslookup,
that timed out as well.

> The problem is Network Solutions kept claiming he didn't have permission to
> use my server as a DNS contact but I never received any e-mails asking for
> any sort of authorization.

$dig @A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. circlemud.net. ns

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. circlemud.net. ns
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      circlemud.net, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
circlemud.net.          2D IN NS        CAMBOT.CIRCLEMUD.ORG.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
CAMBOT.CIRCLEMUD.ORG.   2D IN A         128.9.160.111

;; Total query time: 106 msec
;; FROM: dsl-64-32-50-81.hollywood.relaypoint.net to SERVER:
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.  198.41.0.4
;; WHEN: Thu Jan  4 09:55:33 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 81

According ti InterNIC it's all yours, dunno what Network Soultion's
problem is, but the file IS getting hosted off your server.