Help File structure missing?

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 01/05/01

        Maybe I overlooked it, but is the help file structure not detailed
in any of the circlemud documents?  Writing up an addon to that darned
editor again, and though I can grab the actual .hlp files, I can't grab
the code - so I need something definitive to tell me what to look for.

        From what I can tell, stock help files are something like:
index file=
----------
<filename>
<filename>
    .
    .
    .
$~

----------

and the entries in those listed filenames
--------------
<list of single word keywords>

<multiline description of help entry>
#
--------------

        And the 'hedit' version has the same index, but the file format
for an entry looks like this:

------------
<keywords, multiple keywords in double quotes; AC "Armor Class" etc>
<name of help entry>
<multiline description of help entry>
#<level a character must be to read this entry>
------------

        I do not know - nor can I tell from the file format - if the
'name' of the help entry is used for anything other than display.  I
remember having to type 'hedit <help entry name>' - and then it would..I
assume... match to the keywords.  This has been a source of much
dissention on previous muds and it would be nice if someone could clear
it up.  I don't believe I've ever actually looked at it in too much depth.

        Granted, I don't believe the hedit patch itself is covered
_directly_ under diku/circle license.  I'd look at it depending on list
consensus, but it may not be directly helpful - or rather, exponentially
more helpful in context - which of course I can't see :(

                                                        PjD