Re: [NEWBIE] Moral Issue.. don't hate me for this.

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 01/08/01

Seyne wrote:
> I understand that this has been a discussion before, but I wasn't on the
> list at the time and

That's what the list archives are for.

> I'd just like to know about taking the code of an
> established mud and putting up the copy on a new server.

It's fine if you can get the permission of the owner of the established
MUD.

> Is it a moral or a legal issue?

Well, I think that you may have legal grounds to rip off someone's code
under the copyright law, but it ceartainly is not moral (see below).

> CircleMUD itself, I know, is copyrighted.  But what about the
> changes made? Are they owned by anyone or are they considered part of the
> free source.. if you can access it, you can use it?

I believe the copyright law states that any derived work is the property
of the original copyright holder.  I'm not sure how this applies to
CircleMUD but it may hold legal grounds for ripping of source code
derived from CircleMUD as long as you adhere to the original CircleMUD
license.  Again, this is just my own interpretation of how the copyright
law might be applied, however that does not make it moral to rip off
someone's code by any means.

> I am not trying to break any rules (where are the list rules posted,
> anyway...?).
Look Down vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Regards, Peter