Re: [OASIS] [BUG?]other immortals not visible

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/09/01

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, George Greer wrote:

> Good idea, but not yet. (read: I might actually have enough time to
> pretend to maintain OasisOLC this semester, please let me sort out the
> pending issues first.)

Naturally.

> It's "(on|off)-line creation" with subdivision.  We figured they're similar
> enough and could have overlap.

In that case, consider moving offline area editors (and other utilities)
to a utils/areas/ directory, or similar.  The snippets/olc/ directory will
handle the online editors.  The idea being code/ will remain to be code
snippets for use in the CircleMUD server, and utils/ will cover the area
editors.

> Except we typically don't capitalize and that would make the directories
> rather sparse.  We'll decide whether to split it later.

The idea was that those three directories would be rather sparse, so that
people could separate between addons for Oasis/Obuild, the actual
releases, and other material.  You could go further with the organization
and do:

  contrib/code/olc/
    GenOLC/
      GenOLC-0.0.tar.gz
      addons/
      docs/
      old/
    OasisOLC/
      OasisOLCv2.0-bpl17.tar.gz
      addons/
      docs/
      old/
    obuild/
      addons/
      docs/
      obuild.08.tar.gz
      old/
    others/

But that might be taking it too far.  At the least, though, you might
consider an OLD/ directory under olc/ to move antiquated versions of
OasisOLC and obuild to, to reduce clutter and confusion.

> I find that to be a pain, because then you don't know quickly which
> version you've downloaded without renaming the package or looking
> inside.

In which case, name the link exactly the same as the file.  :)

> Online creation is also an area editor, why the preferential treatment?

I was assuming olc/ could be moved under code/, then.

-dak