Re: ASCII Pfiles (was: Color)

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/16/01

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, George Greer wrote:

> MUD++ did it by integrating a telnet daemon into the code. I think
> something of the sort would be nice to do.  Then you can let people
> fighting over 'vi vs. emacs' have their way and everyone else can use
> an editor instead of a kitchen sink. :)

Basically, we'd have to implement a pseudo-terminal.  Time to dust off the
ol' copy of _UNIX_Network_Programming_, I think.  Unless you can remember
the thousand-and-one ioctl() calls.  Of course, it'd be UNIX only.
Windows isn't even remotely[1] capable of things like this, last I heard.

> I'm also hoping for native SSH and compression support, but not for
> any interim release. ("Interim to what?" you may be asking.)

This adds OpenSSL and libz requirements.  Of course, 'configure' could
handle all of that for us well enough, so no big deal there.  Both are
fairly trivial to implement.  The pty and telnetd are the hard parts.

Of course, if we write a telnetd, there's no good reason not to make
CircleMUD's telnet support more complete (i.e., existent).  I suppose this
is a good reason to use C++ (because the telnet protocol support can be a
base class that we write once, derive/combine where we need it, and forget
about).  It'd be terribly nice to do:

    class MudServer: public ServerSocket<TcpInetBase, TelnetProtocol>
    {
        .
        .
        .
    };

BTW... interim to what?  <g>

-dak

[1] Pun not intended, but I'll take responsibility nonetheless.