Re: ASCII Pfiles (was: Color)

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 01/16/01

George Greer wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Patrick Dughi wrote:
>
> >        Heck, a brave soul could even rewrite the edlin..er.. I mean,
> >improved editor to work like..well.. pine/pico.
>
> MUD++ did it by integrating a telnet daemon into the code. I think
> something of the sort would be nice to do.  Then you can let people
> fighting over 'vi vs. emacs' have their way and everyone else can use an
> editor instead of a kitchen sink. :)

The main problem with that is security.  Both VI and emacs have many
features, they can even run shell commands inside the editor.  This
makes allowing thier use from inside a MUD a scary proposition at best.

> I'm also hoping for native SSH and compression support, but not for any
> interim release. ("Interim to what?" you may be asking.)

Both should be fairly easy.  OpenSSH uses the BSD license which appears
to be fairly unrestrictive, gzip, otoh, would (afaik) be GPL so you may
want to look for another compression algorythm.

Regards, Peter