Re: ASCII Pfiles (was: Color)

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 01/16/01

"Daniel A. Koepke" wrote:

>   3.0           - betas
>   3.1           - First CircleMUD 3 stable release
>   3.1.x         - Continuation of 3.1 family.
>   3.[2,4,6,8]   - Reserved for stable releases in the 3.x family.
>   3.[3,5,7]     - Reserved for development releases in the 3.x family.
>   3.9.x         - 4.0 beta family
>   4.0           - First stable release of 4.0
>
> So after 3.0/3.1, we can use the Linux versioning scheme.  For people who
> don't know, yet, the reason for doing this rather than having a stable 3.0
> and making 3.1 a development release is to eliminate confusion between all
> of the beta patch-levels and the non-beta.  The advantage of the Linux
> versioning scheme is that it's instantly possible to tell whether any
> version is or isn't stable and how far along it is.  I would fully expect
> to see something like 3.9.17 before we ever saw 4.0.  Once 4.0 went
> stable, we'd create a 4.1 branch, take a break, and handle bug-fixes by
> integrating them into 4.0.x releases as well as the 4.1.x development
> releases.

Well, if you're gonna go to the Linux numbering scheme it might be
better off to simply skip 3.1 and move to 3.2 as the first stable 3.x
release, that way you can get on track quicker and keep the stable
releases even...

3.0             - betas
3.1             - skipped
3.2             - First stable release, basically 3.0.x fully debugged
3.[3,5,7]       - future development releases in 3.x family
3.[4,6,8]       - future stable releases in 3.x family
3.9.x           - Version 4.0 development
4.0             - First stable 4.0 release

Regards, Peter