Re: ASCII Pfiles (was: Color)

From: Sammy (samedi@ticnet.com)
Date: 01/17/01

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:38:46 -0800, you wrote:

>load_char() is quite "blah". Hint: do_set() Also, the defaults should be
>reflected in places like clear_char() instead of load_char().

The reason I organized the parsing the way I did was for speed,
basically compiling to a jump table that would only require a few
string compares.  I may try it the do_set way and see how it does
under a load.

I agree with you on the defaults.  The only reason I haven't done so
was to try to keep the patch as simple as possible.

>The keywords need to be arbitrary length, not 4 characters. Otherwise you
>end up with gems like "Hite" and "Wate" as keywords.  Just split on the
>first colon and use that for comparisons.

My way is prettier and faster, but I can allow for both.

>kill_ems == strip_cr
>sprintbits == sprintascii

Are those genolc functions?

>You're not taking advantage of the variable-argument log() function. See
>remove_player().

Must be pretty old code.  I've always hated setting up log() calls..
Consider those gone.

>diskio.c: Actually, I'm fond of mmap(), but that doesn't mean I have a
>problem with your code.  I'd have to question "why?" though.

Simple ignorance.  I'd never heard of mmap() when I wrote it, and
still don't know what it is, but I'll look into it.

I'm 100% self-taught, so I tend to reinvent the occaisional wheel when
I don't realize the wheel exists (or sometimes just because the wheel
seems like a cool thing to invent).

>>I think putting Oasis in stock 3.1 would be the way to go. Menu-driven
>>ease of use is much closer to the spirit of the current circle community.
>
>It's a massive pain for bulk changes though.

True, but there's no reason Oasis can't be made more powerful.

>>The last version of obuild had an experimental menu-driven room editor
>>that was just a front-end for the command-line interface.  It had a few
>>features that in my opinion gave the best of both worlds.  I had plans to
>>rewrite it to be more coder-friendly and to extend it to the other
>>editors, but as far as I know nobody ever used it.
>
>You know my plan: bundle OBuild and Oasis.  That obviously hasn't happened
>yet. :)

It's a big job and a lot of redundancy.  My fantasy is a menu
interface to command-line code where the menus can be defined in a
simple table or text file, but that's a pretty complex project in
itself.

Sam