Re: Friggin' mud-time. . .

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/18/01

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>One interesting thing is that a lot of spells have their duration set to
>24 -- recall that the spell duration is decremented every mud hour.
>This means a lot of spells last an entire mud day.  So should they be
>changed to last a full day regardless of how many hours there are in a
>day?  Or should they remain unchanged?  (I think unchanged.)

I'd say we go with intent, that they last a full day.  If someone were to
change their days to 240 hours the spells would become rather useless.

>Another question: what can we do about the magic beginning of time number?

It's arbitrary. :)

If you actually decode the number it seems to be some time picked by the
Diku people.

perl -e 'print scalar(localtime("650336715")), "\n";'
Fri Aug 10 18:05:15 1990

I'm not sure what the Macintosh number is all about.  I'd say we remove the
#ifdef and just use some new arbitrary number (like the instant we release
the real 3.1).

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org